Saturday, June 2, 2012

Meeting in South London


That morning I met you
at the underground station
was a freezing December day
but your smile was warm
and the three months
we had spent apart
melted like
the frost at my feet.

But by January it had snowed
and the new year had brought with it
new possibilities
for you

On the day I had to leave
we walked beside that
frozen lake
In your eyes I saw
that the end had already begun
Even as lengthening shadows
signal the end of a day
and falling leaves
sing of summers end

Still, there were tears in you.

so I took your hand
told you gently
“It will be a long time
before this place
and my heart
see the sun again….”

(From nothing prepares you, Colombo: Zeus, 2007; second edition forthcoming 2012, Colombo: Akna: publishers)

No comments:

Post a Comment